- customer service skills
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to work well with others
- leadership skills
- to enjoy working with other people
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to sell products and services
- business management skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- managing and motivating teams to increase sales
- overseeing recruitment and training of staff
- keeping track of stock and ordering
- organising sales promotions and in-store events
- dealing with queries, complaints and feedback from customers
- analysing sales figures and forecasting future sales
- maintaining awareness of market trends and monitoring competitors
- controlling budgets and costs
- providing reports to senior company executives
You could work at a store or in an office.
With experience you could progress into area or regional management.
You could also move into more specialist areas, like customer service, training and operations management.