- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- administration skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- sensitivity and understanding
- excellent verbal communication skills
- analytical thinking skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- processing payments and withdrawals
- setting up and maintaining customers’ accounts
- dealing with enquiries
- promoting and selling financial products and services to customers
- using the IT system to update account details
- general administration tasks
- operating UK and overseas currency tills
- helping customers with loan and mortgage applications
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work in a bank or in a contact centre.
With experience, you could progress to specialist customer service and advice roles, or into management.
You might also be able to apply your customer service skills in corporate or investment banking.
You can find out more about careers in finance from The London Institute of Banking and Finance.