- knowledge of economics and accounting
- maths knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- analytical thinking skills
- knowledge of English language
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- business management skills
- customer service skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages confidently
Your day-to-day duties might involve:
- examining company accounts
- identifying any problems or risks to the business
- assessing the company's financial reporting systems
- making recommendations for improvements
You could work in an office or at a client's business.
As an experienced external auditor, you could move into management and then become a partner or finance director. You could also set up your own accountancy practice.
As an experienced internal auditor, you could move into a management role. You could also become a chartered internal auditor, or become a self-employed consultant.
You can find out more about working in auditing from the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors.