- excellent verbal communication skills
- business management skills
- customer service skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- leadership skills
- knowledge of economics and accounting
- ambition and a desire to succeed
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- persistence and determination
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- communicating and implementing business, marketing and sales plans
- monitoring sales targets and budgets, and producing figures and reports
- assessing lending risk
- motivating staff to meet targets
- understanding the needs of individual and business customers
- making sure that staff follow rules and procedures
- developing relationships with the local community and businesses
- dealing with customer complaints
You could work in an office.
You could work towards chartered banker status with the Chartered Banker Institute. This could help broaden your career options at senior management level.
With experience, you could take on responsibility for several branches in a local area or region. You could move into head office operations, or work with the bank's overseas division.
You could also work in corporate or investment banking.