- maths knowledge for understanding programming
- the ability to write computer programs
- analytical thinking skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to come up with new ways of doing things
- knowledge of systems analysis and development
- complex problem-solving skills
- persistence and determination
- the ability to use your initiative
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
- develop new apps or create 'mobile-friendly' versions of websites
- work with other developers, designers and copywriters
- design prototypes to suit client needs
- write or amend computer code
- test software, find faults and fix problems
- write accurate notes about the development process
- keep up to date with new technology trends and tools
You could work in an office or at a client's business.
You could move into systems analysis, or be promoted to a senior app developer or applications project manager.
You could also become self-employed, offering your services through contracting in most areas of the economy, for example business, finance, cyber security, telecommunications and healthcare.