Skip to main content

BTEC, Level 3

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Information Technology

Whether you are interested in programming, social media or website design, this is the course for you.

This Level 3 course covers many of the skills required for pursuing a career in IT as well as the academic knowledge to progress into Higher Education.

This work-related programme of study covers a wide range of practical skills for current and future careers in the IT industry. The department has a dedicated networking lab, programmable robots and virtual reality systems (HTC Vive and Oculus Rift).

You will study a range of units over the two years, some of which will be externally assessed or examined, which may include:

  • Information Technology Systems
  • Creating Systems to Manage Information
  • Using Social Media in Business
  • Website Development
  • Computer Games Development
  • Digital 2D and 3D Graphics
  • The Internet of Things
  • IT Technical Support and Management
  • Cyber Security and Incident Management
  • IT Service Delivery
  • Programming

Many of our students progress onto the HND in Computing at Selby College. We are also proud to offer a pathway through to a full BSc (Hons) in Applied Computing delivered here at Selby College. On successful completion of the course you may go on to other Higher Education courses at University, an Apprenticeship or employment.

Potential Careers

  • Web Developer
  • Games Developer
  • Software Developer
  • IT Security Manager
  • Augmented and Virtual Reality Developer

Standard Level 3 vocational entry requirements apply. The minimum requirement is at least five GCSEs at Grade 4 OR at least 3 GCSE subjects at Grade 4 alongside 2 alternative GCSE equivalent requirements. At least one of Maths or English Language must be Grade 4 and neither lower than Grade 3. If the subject applied for has been taken previously, then at least a Grade 4 at GCSE or Merit at BTEC or OCR Level 2 is required.

Please note: If you have not achieved a Grade 4 or above in GCSE English and/or Maths you will be required to continue studying these alongside your college course.

External Examination/Controlled Assessment/Coursework