At Selby College, we provide a high quality, confidential, impartial, and supportive Careers Advice and Guidance service. This is open to all students when they start at the college and when they leave us, and further support is available through their study, with drop in sessions and booked appointments.
Selby College’s Careers Service helps students plan their future and find out the possible options available and suitable to their skills and aspirations. We encourage our students to achieve their full potential and to reach their careers goals.
The college Careers Team is here to help you make informed career decisions and help you to plan your next steps, whether they be applying for further study (FE, University, training providers, etc…) or exploring employment and/or apprenticeship opportunities…
The service also assists you to explore which potential pathways best suit you interests, skills and aspirations. We are proud to have available to you L6 qualified impartial careers advisors, whilst also proudly holding the Matrix Standard - further helping to ensure our support is of the highest standard.
The Careers team provide impartial guidance for all students, relating to…
- Not sure what to do when you finish your studies?
- Need help looking for employment or apprenticeship?
- Need advice about choosing a course for next year?
- Need help with choosing a university course?
- Want some practical help with applications or CVs?
Drop in to speak to the team in Student Central or book an appointment, by…
- Student Central – Jubilee Building, J0.73
- Email: email@example.com
- Call: 01757 211060
Our students utilise Career Coach to help ensure that they can make informed career decisions, based on live Selby based labour market insight (LMI). This portal helps explore LMI relating to specific employment sectors and roles, whilst providing insight into potential wages, employment levels, job postings, and associated education and training for these.
We follow the Gatsby Benchmarks to ensure we provide guidance that inspires students and enables them to make informed decisions:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from careers and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each student
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with Employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal Guidance
To see the full Gatsby Good Careers Guidance Report, follow this link.
We value the importance of trips and experiences. We arrange UCAS Fair trips and university visits. We also have several visitors to the college, including University representatives, the armed forces, and we host careers fairs at the college with local businesses.
- Freshers Week - w/c 18th September 2023
- Green Careers Week – w/c 6th November 2023
- UCAS deadline – Friday 26th January 2024
- National Apprenticeship Week – w/c 5th February 2024
- National Careers Week & Heart of Yorkshire 'Your Future' Week – 4th-9th March 2024
- British Science Week – 8th-17th March 2024
- Volunteering Week – 1st-7th June 2024
- Career Coach - Designed to help you find a good career by providing the most current local data on wages, employment, job postings, and associated education and training
- National Careers Service - Careers advice and information on a wide range of jobs, training course resources and funding
- UCAS - Find universities and colleges using 'Where to study'
- Apprenticeship Website – Apprenticeship information, advice and vacancies
- Selby Job Centre - Link to Job Centre Plus in Selby
- Ethnic Jobsite - Bridging the gap between employers and ethnic minorities in the UK
- Prospects - The UK’s official graduate careers website, 1000s of jobs and courses
- Pathways - Provides help and resources regarding careers for students, teachers, parents and carers
- Get My First Job
- NHS careers
- Government website - Find a Job
- Amazing Apprenticeships
- Careers with Delta