You will study a variety of areas, including:
• The Family – What is a family? How has the family changed recently and what are the reasons for these changes?
• Education – What is the role of schools? What are the reasons why some people succeed in education and some do not?
• Crime and Deviance – Why do some people commit crime? How reliable are crime statistics? What is the role of the police, the courts and the prisons?
• Research Methods – The strengths and limitations of the different methods that sociologists use for investigating society.
• Beliefs in Society – Has science replaced religion in modern society? What role does religion play in society?
In studying these topics you will also examine:
• The Influence of the Media
• The Impact of Gender, Social Class and Ethnicity
• The Impact of Globalisation on Modern Society