- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to write computer programs
- persistence and determination
- analytical thinking skills
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to use your initiative
- maths knowledge
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
Your day-to-day duties might include:
- meeting clients to discuss what they want their site to do
- preparing a design plan
- deciding which branding, text, colours and backgrounds to use
- laying out pages and positioning buttons, links and pictures using design software
- adding multimedia features like sound, animation and video
- testing and improving the design and site
- uploading the site to a server
You could work from home, in an office or at a client's business.
With experience, you could specialise in a particular area, like e-commerce or move up to a more senior role like lead programmer or project leader.
You could also move into other IT fields, like systems analysis or IT project management.