- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware and software
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- broadcasting and telecommunications knowledge
- the ability to repair machines or systems
- customer service skills
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to work well with your hands
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- surveying a site to plan a job
- working out where cabling networks will go
- installing and fixing aerials or satellite dishes
- checking signal strength
- testing equipment and fixing faults
- calculating quotes to install new systems
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work at a client's home or at a client's business.
Your working environment may be at height and outdoors some of the time.
With further training and experience, you could plan and design telecommunications systems, or set up your own business installing satellite dishes and equipment.