- customer service skills
- leadership skills
- the ability to motivate and manage staff
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- business management skills
- knowledge of food production methods
- sensitivity and understanding
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- planning menus
- organising shifts and rotas
- managing stock control and budgets
- working with food and drink suppliers
- running the business in line with licensing, food hygiene, and health and safety rules
- recruiting staff and organising training
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work at a restaurant.
Your working environment may be physically demanding.
With experience, you could become a regional manager or hotel manager.
You could also set up your own restaurant.
Find out more about careers and training from the Hospitality Guild.