- excellent verbal communication skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- the ability to read English
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- maths knowledge
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to use your initiative
- active listening skills
- excellent written communication skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- recruiting staff
- assessing staff performance
- coordinating the team’s work
- analysing data and presenting results
- making sure work meets safety standards and other relevant legislation
- managing budgets
- reporting to senior managers
You could work at a university, in a laboratory or in a factory.
With experience in industry, you could become a senior project manager or research director.
In higher education, you could become a senior research fellow or professor.
You can get an overview of research and development across different industries from UK Research and Innovation.