- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- customer service skills
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- leadership skills
- business management skills
- sensitivity and understanding
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to work on your own
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- creating a safe and stimulating environment to promote learning
- updating parents and carers on children's progress
- working with colleagues to meet children’s needs
- checking equipment is in good condition
You’ll also have business responsibilities which could include:
- recruiting staff and developing the nursery team
- managing a budget
- arranging marketing materials
- keeping records and creating management reports
- working within environmental, health and safety and fire regulations
- keeping up to date with developments in early years care
- building relationships with parents, carers, schools and childcare professionals
- making sure the nursery meets Ofsted and early years foundation stage standards
You could work in a nursery.
Your working environment may be physically and emotionally demanding.
With experience, you could become an area manager and look after the work of a number of nurseries. You might also think about setting up your own private nursery. Ofsted has information on how to do this.
You could become a trainer or training assessor for people studying for childcare qualifications. You could also move into nursery inspection.
Taking a higher education qualification in early years or child development could help you move into teaching, children's nursing or social work.
You can get more advice about careers in early years education and training from the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years and the National Day Nurseries Association
You can also find out more about working in childcare through the early years career progression map.