- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- maths knowledge
- knowledge of physics
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- thinking and reasoning skills
- design skills and knowledge
- analytical thinking skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of chemistry including the safe use and disposal of chemicals
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- designing and building new plants and equipment
- monitoring and measuring radiation levels
- carrying out maintenance work
- making sure that the plant structure meets legal requirements
- being responsible for security and safety
- supervising power station technicians
- planning safe methods of nuclear waste disposal
You may need to wear safety clothing and use safety equipment.
You could work at a power station, in a laboratory, in an office or in a control room.
You could move into research, or university teaching. You could also work freelance.
You can find details about careers in the the nuclear industry through Cogent.