- knowledge of English language
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- an interest and knowledge of history
- knowledge of teaching and the ability to design courses
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to work well with others
- excellent verbal communication skills
- the ability to read English
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- selecting, buying or borrowing items
- organising records, catalogues and indexes
- making sure exhibits are stored under the right conditions
- arranging conservation and restoration
- helping visitors to interpret and enjoy exhibits and collections
- organising publicity and fundraising
- giving talks
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work in a museum.
With experience you could progress to senior curator.
You can find out more about becoming a museum curator from the Museums Association.