- excellent verbal communication skills
- business management skills
- analytical thinking skills
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to use your initiative
- customer service skills
- the ability to use your judgement and make decisions
- the ability to work well with others
- persistence and determination
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
Your day-to-day duties could include:
- meeting clients to discuss what they need
- carrying out research to gain an understanding of the client's business
- interviewing managers, staff and customers
- collecting and analysing data, and preparing reports
- identifying and investigating issues, and planning how to tackle them
- highlighting areas for improvement
- creating computer models to test possible business solutions
- presenting recommendations to the client
- agreeing a course of action with the client
- providing ongoing support to the client
You could work in an office or at a client's business.
With experience, you could become a partner in a management consultancy, work freelance or set up your own consultancy firm.
You could become a member of the Institute of Consulting and apply for certified management consultant status.
You can find out more about careers in management consultancy from the [Management Consultancies Association | https://www.mca.org.uk/career-development/careers-advice/] and the [Chartered Management Institute | http://www.managers.org.uk].