- knowledge of economics and accounting
- maths knowledge
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- administration skills
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to work well with others
- ambition and a desire to succeed
- the ability to use your initiative
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
Your day-to-day tasks may include:
- preparing financial statements and accounts
- monitoring spending and budgets
- analysing the company's financial performance
- forecasting and planning future spending and profits
- recommending ways to reduce costs and increase profits
- making business decisions
- auditing departments in your company
- preparing company reports for outside organisations
- managing a team of accountants
- overseeing the company's payroll, credit control and bookkeeping systems
You could work in an office.
With experience, you could become a senior manager or finance director, or the chief executive of a company. You could also become a self-employed management consultant.
You could offer accountancy services in private practice if you register with CIMA.
You can find out more about working and training in accountancy from the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.