- knowledge of chemistry including the safe use and disposal of chemicals
- knowledge of biology
- the ability to work well with your hands
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to use your initiative
- the ability to work well with others
- administration skills
- maths knowledge
- analytical thinking skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- setting up experiments and investigations
- carrying out risk assessments
- collecting and analysing samples
- preparing solutions, cultures or specimens
- recording and presenting data
- ordering and controlling stock
- disposing of chemicals and waste products safely
- cleaning and maintaining equipment
You may need to wear protective clothing.
You could work in a laboratory.
With experience, you could progress to team manager or lab supervisor, or specialise in complex analysis work.
With a degree and experience you could move into a research technician role.