- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- analytical thinking skills
- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- excellent verbal communication skills
- persistence and determination
- the ability to use your judgement and make decisions
- complex problem-solving skills
- thinking and reasoning skills
- to have a thorough understanding of computer systems and applications
You'll work with an organisation to:
- establish what the database is for, who’ll use it and what other systems it will link to
- plan the structure of the database, working out how to organise, find and display data
- build a test version and check the results for bugs
- fill (populate) the database with new information or transfer existing data into it
- plan how to update information, create back-up copies and report errors
- put in security measures
You could work in an office or at a client's business.
With experience, you could move into IT project management or systems analysis, web development or network management.
You could also become self-employed, or move into consultancy.