- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to work well with others
- sensitivity and understanding
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- administration skills
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Depending on your role, your day-to-day tasks may include:
- answering calls, emails and web chat enquiries from customers
- making telesales and market research calls to new and existing customers
- dealing with customer orders, card payments, enquiries and complaints
- advising about products and services
- supporting customers to fix computer problems
- offering counselling, welfare and benefits advice, legal information or help with careers
- updating customers' records on computer databases
You could work in a contact centre.
With experience and training, you could progress to team leader and management level.
You could also move into human resources, resource planning, marketing and training.