- knowledge of engineering science and technology
- maths knowledge
- analytical thinking skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- the ability to read English
- excellent verbal communication skills
- knowledge of building and construction
- the ability to use your initiative
- to be flexible and open to change
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
- create plans using CAD and building information modelling software
- design and install controls for systems like heating and ventilation
- estimate costs
- make sure jobs meet building regulations and health and safety requirements
- attend meetings and present ideas and progress reports
- coordinate the work of technicians and craftspeople
You may need to wear protective clothing.
You could work on a construction site or in an office.
With experience, you could move into senior project management, quantity surveying or engineering design.
You could also work as a consultant.
You can find more advice about careers and qualifications in building services from the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.