- the ability to work well with others
- patience and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- maths knowledge
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- excellent verbal communication skills
- customer service skills
- to be flexible and open to change
- active listening skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- recruiting, training and supervising staff
- greeting customers and promoting products to them
- taking bets and paying out winnings
- dealing with complaints
- setting sales targets
- controlling costs and balancing accounts
- organising staff rotas
- looking after the security of staff, customers and money
- following gambling law
You could work in an office or at a race track.
Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers.
With experience, you could manage several shops in a region, or set up your own business.
Powered by Pathways.
You'll find more details about a career in the gaming industry from the Hospitality Guild.