- customer service skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- active listening skills
- the ability to work well with your hands
- sensitivity and understanding
- the ability to work well with others
- the ability to work on your own
- excellent verbal communication skills
- concentration skills
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
As a barber, you might do the following as part of your daily routine:
- welcome customers and find out what they want
- give advice to customers on hairstyles and grooming
- cut and style hair
- shave, trim and shape beards and moustaches
- provide scalp, face and neck massages
- clean and sterilise equipment, like combs, razors and clippers
- take payments, keep records and make appointments
- keep up to date with new styles and techniques
You could work in a barbershop, at a client's home or on a film set.
Your working environment may be physically active.
With experience you could become a senior barber. If you take further qualifications, you could move into training or assessing student barbers.
You could also open your own barbershop, either independently or as a franchise.