- customer service skills
- excellent verbal communication skills
- active listening skills
- the ability to sell products and services
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- to enjoy working with other people
- a good memory
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- the ability to work well with others
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
Your day-to-day tasks could include:
- using a till to take orders and payments
- handling cash
- serving drinks and snacks
- keeping the bar clean and well stocked
You may need to wear a uniform.
You could work in a pub or bar, at a restaurant, in a hotel or at a social club.
Your working environment may be noisy, crowded and hot.
With experience, you could progress to supervisor, deputy bar manager and bar manager.
You could also become a publican or bar manager for a hotel chain.