- knowledge of English language
- knowledge of media production and communication
- the ability to read English
- excellent verbal communication skills
- to be thorough and pay attention to detail
- excellent written communication skills
- the ability to work well with others
- to be flexible and open to change
- the ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- to be able to use a computer and the main software packages competently
Your day-to-day duties may include:
- laying out pages using the most suitable graphics and photographs
- discussing ideas with colleagues, like journalists and editorial staff
- hiring, and working with, freelance designers, illustrators and photographers
- producing cover designs
- setting an overall look and style for each issue
- redesigning the publication to keep it up-to-date
- making sure the layout of apps and digital magazines works well
- managing photo shoots
You could work in an office or in a creative studio.
You could become an art director, or move to advertising agency work.
You could use your experience and industry contacts to become self-employed or set up your own design agency.
Powered by Pathways.
You can also find out more about working in art, publishing and other creative careers from Discover Creative Careers.